Tuesday, May 4, 2010

'May' Must Be 'Twi' for Goodbye


I found out recently that I'm leaving for Ghana on June 1st. It is the first country the Peace Corps ever landed in - it has a 40+ year mission legacy (no pressure) and I've been given the opportunity to work in the exact program I wanted (no pressure). I feel like the luckiest girl in America - to be given the opportunity to follow my dreams and put a tiny mark on the world. This experience is going to line up the rest of my life. I'm ecstatic ... and completely terrified of failing those expectations, despite having come so far.

To have people telling me that they're proud of me, that I inspire them in some minute way, is the most humbling experience of my life. It erases every mistake. My perspective has shifted ever so slightly in the right direction and, suddenly, the minutiae has completely disappeared. Why? Because I have people counting on me, people holding me responsible for my goals.

What a fantastic way to make yourself accountable for all of your dreams: to simply tell someone about them?

I am completely in-love with the idea of possibility. I feel so incredibly lucky to have been thrust in the direction of my aspirations. I'm finally beginning to do the things that define who I am, the kind of person I want to be. I couldn't be more grateful.

This has only made me realize I must make the most of my time. This way the people who matter don't doubt it and the one's who don't aren't revealed too late. What I'm most excited about, though, is the first month I've had off in over a year - and the memories I'll be able to stock away, in bulk. I have a feeling I'm going to need them.

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you, Emma. It takes a special kind of person to be courageous enough to chase her dreams. I am lucky to know you.

    Unfortunately you will be taking off before I get a chance to come back to the ole' 719. So, without further ado, I wish you the absolute best and hope you will continue to write about your experiences in Ghana. Hopefully our paths will physically cross again in the not-so-distant future.

    Much love! Jessie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great insight on the nature of being responsible for dreams

    btw, nice pic there :)

    ReplyDelete